What to Recycle
These paper-based products are recyclable!
- Magazines and brochures, including glossy varieties
- Office and shredded paper, envelopes
- Cardboard boxes of any kind – dry food, cosmetic and medicine boxes; roll cores, packing cartons (flattened)
- Old telephone directories and books
- Paper giftwrap
- Milk, beverage and food cartons (liquid board packaging)
- Paper cups
YES! Milk and juice cartons are recyclable as are paper cups. Using hydrapulping technology, the paper fibre is separated from the plastic and foil layers.
These items are not recyclable due to contamination, finishes (laminates and foils) or lack of processing facilities in South Africa.
- Used paper plates, disposable nappies, tissues and toilet paper
- Wax-coated, foil-lined or laminated boxes (unless stipulated)
- Used cement bags
- Used dog food bags
- Foil gift wrapping
- Carbon paper
- Laminated paper
Learn some good garbage habits under our How to Recycle section.